Monday, May 9, 2011

EPIC #PITCH2WIN FAILURE

 Not good, starting a blog with talk of failure. But it is said that in the publishing business, persistence is key. So here is my little story of how I lost a writing contest, but am persisting in publishing.

I have written a satirical novella, called “The Chronicles of IDIOT”, and have been in what I call “query hell” since March. After writing a great query letter, compiling a database of literary agents who represent humor and/or satire, I sent off these letters via e-mail and classic standard letters on March 1st. I have not heard back from any literary agents, except to say “no thanks”. Of coarse, some say “We are not interested but we are sure some other agent will feel differently”. Could you tell me who those agents who would feel differently are? Please?

A friend told me to go on Twitter, and so I have with the handle @ErinBethBerry. Twitter is fun, I enjoy putting jokes out there. Have been trying to keep up with the publishing industry. That was when in mid-March, a twitter contest from Writer's Digest was announced. I jumped on it. I really wanted to try traditional publishing.

Here is my tweet: #Pitch2Win There is a little known US government agency called IDIOT. It's purpose is to distract Americans from the govt's naughty actions.

Then, at Mid-March, I found out my tweet was one of 50 chosen for the contest. The top 3 synopses would win 3 different publishing packages. To say I was psyched is not even close to how I was feeling. We had till April 18th to finish the 250 word synopsis and 100 word rationale for why this book should win. I took a week off to feel good about myself, then started whittling down my 350 word synopsis down to the 250 necessary words. Then I had to start on the pesky 100 word rationale, for me that was harder than the synopsis. I got it sent in the day before it was necessary and then felt nauseous for the next 3 days. This could be my big break! Well, it wasn't.

After about a week or so of waiting we found out on twitter that we would find out the winner on May 2, 2011. So I waited hopefully and made some great friends on twitter who were also hopeful writers and potential #pitch2win winners.

May 2nd of this year, was a busy news day, it was the day after President Obama announced that the Navy Seals had taken out Osama Bin Laden. So the world, and my mind, had other things to concentrate on besides my writing career. In mornings, if all goes well, I take my dog, Blizzard out for an early morning walk and listen to music during this walk. That morning my MP3 player broke it to me gently that I would not win this contest. The first 4 songs during my walk were these:

1. “Wishing Well” by Terrance Trent D'arby Yes, I was wishing to win.
2.  “Fuckin' With My Head” by Beck Yes, this contest was messing with my head.
3.  “Airbag” by Radiohead Oh no, I need an airbag
4.  “Look To Your Orb For The Warning” by Monster Magnet, from the Matrix soundtrack. I thought the name was “Goin' Down Now”, cause that is the first lyric and repeated many times. It is a great song and I am embarrassed I didn't know the name. Oh well...

When I heard “Goin' Down Now” I knew my book had not won the contest. I just knew it. And then I found out a few hours later, with a kind e-mail that my MP3 player was right. The next song was “Planet Claire” by the B52's, which suggested I needed a vacation, preferably off planet.

It hurt to not be chosen. But I understand their decision. My book was not really what they were looking for, and I am happy that 3 other authors did get their work published. My husband was hoping to be my “publisher”, anyways. He really wanted to publish “The Chronicles of IDIOT” as an e-book. Now I am psyched to do that cause it will get published. Sure it won't be available to everyone, but it will be available and that is all I can ask.

I will be trying to blog once a week about our journey towards e-publishing as well as other things that are funny ha-ha and funny strange in our life. This will include releasing the first 4 chapters of the “Chronicles of IDIOT” and the reasons I wrote this book.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new blog, Erin! Looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I have another site for you to take a look at-www.createspace.com. More and more established authors are choosing this route as well, so aside from having to do your own promotion its become a truly viable means to get a book to market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks CG! We will start with Amazon but then this place will be helpful.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that where they print on demand physical books?

    ReplyDelete