Monday, July 11, 2011

Close, But No Cigar (E-Book), Yet

We are so close we can taste it! But, we are trying to do it right. So, hopefully, the e-book will be submitted to Amazon soon. Then, they have a 48 hour turn over, and it will be available.

You know, I was hoping to have it available on the 4th of July. It might be available three weeks later. This seems to follow a 'Murphy's Law' type-rule in doing scientific research; so, I wonder if it is also the same for writing. The rule is that it (whatever work you are doing at the time) will almost always take three times as long as you planned. After you have done that type of work for a while, you realize to not tell your boss things are almost done, cause that almost part will bite you in the butt.

We are newbies at this self-publishing game. Yesterday we were going through the different versions that the book will look like in the Kindle(s) and the ipad and iphone. The people with ipads may be disappointed because the indentations (to start a new paragraph) are not as large as with the kindle. I don't know why, it just is. When we learn how to fix that problem, I am sure we will have 50 other to tweak.

Then, we will submit it to CreateSpace, an Amazon company who can sell you a paper version of “The Chronicles of IDIOT”. Then, we will move on to submitting to Barnes and Noble to view on their Nook. Then, maybe onto Apple, but am not sure since you will be able to read it on Apple devices through Amazon. Does anyone know how many anti-Amazon (but with Apple devices) people are out there? And if so, is it worth it to make my book available on Apple for them? Lastly would be Sony, but from what my hubby hears, it is so difficult to get a book onto their reader that it may just not be worth it.

So, I will let you know when “The Chronicles of IDIOT” is available. Hopefully, my next blog will be the first 5 chapters of the book, that will mean it is available on Amazon. I am aiming for a price of $5.00? Does that seem fair? I know the 99 cent books do really well, but only if you have like at least 10 of them out there and my fingers are not that fast...

1 comment:

  1. Erin,

    It is a process, but when you finally see your cover on a device, see your name come up on an Amazon search, and actually see the sales figures start trickling in it makes it all worth it.

    I can't imagine how it will feel to hold an actual printed copy of your book in your hands, but I'm sure it is even more rewarding than with digital publishing.

    Its an amazing feeling, enjoy it!

    PS-I can't wait to get my hands on a copy, I'm just debating whether to wait for the print version or not :-)

    PSS-I think the problem with ibooks is that you have provide your own ISBN number, which is an added expense for only one store.

    ReplyDelete