Monday, December 19, 2011

Actual Chronicles of Idiocy 3: [Name Censored To Be In Review] – Thanks Barnes and Noble...


I didn't realize it would be so difficult to get reviews posted for my book. My Mom did it right away without my asking, another writer friend (Frank Balara) did it quite quickly and easily. Both of these reviews were posted on Amazon and/or GoodReads. But there were no reviews at Barnes and Noble, and I knew my friend Kathy, who read the book prior to publishing, and said she could not wait to read it on her Nook. So, I asked her to review it for BN.com, what then transpired borderlines on the absurd.

The review was censored. We tried to correspond with the people at BN.com to get it posted but they said we should change the review. Something was written that broke their rules on posting reviews. When Kathy tried to edit the review, the edit button that they say should be there was not there. This was after quite a few messages between us and what we have to assume were human beings at BN.com although the responses were not exactly original. I then suggested to try to post the review on Amazon.com and guess what...

Here is Kathy's review on Amazon:


5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend!, December 12, 2011
By
Kodiak Girl - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chronicles of IDIOT (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoying reading this funny, thought provoking, and entertaining satirical book about a secret government agency that provides distractions, everything from video games to big foot, so we do not pay attention to what the government is actually doing. This book is well written and I enjoyed the author's clever play with words, especially names. My only complaint is I am left wanting to read more about what distractions IDIOT created. After reading this book I find myself even more amazed by what is considered "news." Part of me hopes that IDIOT is real!


Does that sound defamatory or mean? Yet, the BN software to censor reviews says it is not acceptable. It seems to be that since the term idiot is there and in capitol letters, she must be calling me an idiot. I guess I would have had to call my book Chronicles of Kittens for it to work for BN. But, make sure not to capitalize KITTENS. That might cause a problem.

The e-mail correspondence continued, eventually telling me to call customer support. Who then hung up on me. Probably not on purpose, but it was yet another irritation from this company.

I also have tried to chat online with them and here is the conversation:

13:17:48 : Erin: Initial Question/Comment: I am the author of "The Chronicles of IDIOT". A friend of mine tried to post a positive review but it was rejected. It seems that stating the title of the book violates terms of use for reviews. Is there any way to change this so reviews can be written for this book?

13:17:53 : System: Welcome to the Barnes & Noble Chatroom.

13:17:53 : System: Bob has joined this session!

13:17:53 : System: Connected with Bob. Your Reference Number for this chat is 347663.

13:17:58 : System: Thanks for joining us.

13:18:03 : Bob: Good day Erin, thanks for joining Barnes and Noble Digital Chat Support. I am Bob. Let me review the issue.

13:19:36 : Bob: Erin, as per our information there no option to change the review status for a book as it is a default setting set by Barnes and Noble.

13:20:23 : Erin: Hi Bob, so there is no way that a review be posted if it just states the name of the book?

13:21:18 : Bob: Yes.

13:22:15 : Erin: This is a serious problem for me, as this is the name of my book. Is there any way to request to change the default setting?

13:23:33 : Bob: Erin, I think you can contact our voice support for this issue as they might help you.

13:23:43 : Bob: Please contact Barnes & Noble Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665).

13:24:15 : Erin: OK, I will try them.

13:24:23 : Bob: Is there anything else I can help you with?

13:24:40 : Erin: I guess not as that is my problem.

13:24:54 : Bob: Thanks for contacting Barnes and Noble Digital Chat Support, have a great day.

13:25:59 : System: Bob has left this session!

13:25:59 : System: The session has ended!

So, another call and they then referred me to Publisher Services at BN. Where I sent an e-mail (PublisherAuthorInquiry@bn.com) giving my complaint one more time.

And now I am waiting to hear from them. Will BN be sensible or is this a case of political correctness gone amuck?

Sorry, but you will need to wait a few weeks, as I am going to take Christmas and New Years off from my blog. The blog will be back on January 9th. A special HELLO to all the readers from Russia, the Netherlands, India and all others around the world who take the time to read this blog. Here is wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyful Kwanza, Sensational Solstice and Wonderful 2012.   

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, Erin. B&N has been doing that to me for several weeks now. I've had them remove reviews for Danielle Blanchard's - Death Wish, Katie Salida's - Immortalis Carpe Noctem, and Natalie J. Damschroder's - Under The Moon.

    Damnedest thing was, there was nothing offensive or inappropriate in any of the reviews. They went up fine on Amazon, but B&N seems to take offense to something and every now and then will flag my reviews for inappropriate content, something I don't include when writing reviews but they seem hellbent on citing that I do.

    I've contacted their CS multiple times, even spoke to several higher up supervisors for B&N over the phone who have clearly stated that there's nothing wrong with my reviews. Their decree has been that there's something wrong with the B&N website and that they cannot decipher as to why it will occasionally flag some of my reviews as wrong.

    The saddest thing is that they'll continuously tell me to edit my reviews, right, and that perhaps it will fix the issue. But I told them, how are we supposed to edit reviews when they don't provide us with the option to edit them in the first place? I left the last guy I talk flabbergasted about that cos there's no option at all for editing even though they claim there is. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. LizzieBeth- Wow, sorry this has happened to you as well. It seems they have a serious software issue. I have not heard back from them. I think they would prefer that we all just go away. Well, I will update the blog if there is a "solution".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they get back to you soon. It sucks that they won't look into whatever's wrong with the website. It's becoming quite tedious that they'll flag and remove reviews over something that really isn't inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete