Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Goodbye “30 Rock,” Hello, “Girls!” And Why I Will Never Be A Literary Rogue.




“30 Rock” is over and this makes me quite sad. While it occasionally pissed me off, it made me laugh so much more and was such an underrated show. I do hope Tina Fey makes the most of her career now and does not do what Liz Lemon does, which is work on a really crappy sitcom. I know she has movies coming up, but I do hope she returns to TV with something whip-smart, not “30 Rock” again, but original and up to her talent. We have great expectations for you, Tina!

To make up for the lack in Thursday night TV, “Community” is back. I do think it will not be the same, just a sad copy of itself without it's original showrunner, Dan Harmon. I will still watch it, but with lowered expectations. But if Mr. Harmon and Ms. Fey collaborate on a creative baby, this would probably be the most hilarious, creative, and underrated show in TV history!

To fill the creative comedic hole left in Ms. Fey's absence, I have started watching HBO's “Girls.” Yes, that show, the one with the awkward sex scenes, but also the one that won the Golden Globe for best Comedy. I see more awards in Lena Dunham's future, because this show is audacious. I mean that in a good way for people watching the show and a bad way for the characters of this show. The things these characters do to each other is incredibly manipulative and mean, yet there are caring moments and real emotions. The audacity of this show is that it is so real. Still, you would not want your daughters to grow up to be these “Girls.” It was compared to “Sex and the City” when it began, but I would consider it to be the Anti-SOTC. If for any reason, it is because of Ms. Dunham's direct choice of some of the worst possible clothes for her body type. And because of that, I consider this show to be much funnier than SOTC.

I shared my love for this show on Facebook, and guess what, it was a FB ghost town of responses. NOBODY said anything about it, there were no likes, no responses. I think HBO is seeing that despite the Golden Globe win, not many people are watching this show. This is a shame, because it it really that good. I know I went off about manipulative people in my last blog. In real life, manipulative people are at the very least a nuisance, and at most ruin you career, etc. But in entertainment, without these scumbags, there would be very little drama. Would anyone watch any of those ridiculous “The Real Housewives of..... Wherever” if everyone was nice to each other and treated each other with respect? No frickin' way. By the way, I have to say that if you want a master's class in political manipulation then you have to watch Kevin Spacey in “House of Cards.”

So, it is the same with “Girls,” the show is lousy with manipulative people. Unless you don't think ignoring a man that your friend is interested in (and making sure she is not that interested as well) only to secretly seduce him into doing a surprise wedding three months later, is manipulative. Needless to say, the marriage did not last long.

It has not been made too big a deal, but there is some serious nepotism going on with this show.  I don't mind it since the show is so well done, and in a way I do think they make fun of this subject, just like anything else. These actresses are children of famous people in entertainment. Including one being David Mamet's daughter. I think he should be quite proud of his little girl, Zosia, since she is fantastically weird and hilarious on this show. As long as the children of the famous do good work, there really is not a problem there.




I have to say that Lena Dunham is not afraid to go there and beyond with this show, and that makes her, a comedic rogue. Hannah (Ms. Dunham's character) does cocaine to write a story for her big break. I am not saying Ms. Dunham has done cocaine, but is this what will do to get your foot in the door? If that is the case, I am rather sure that I will not be a literary comedic rogue.

In Andrew Shaffer's blog for the Huffington Post, he names a toolbox of what to do (mostly booze, drugs and bad behavior) in order to be a literary rogue. The four that I could realistically do would beer (which I do occasionally drink, but the calories...), exotic pets (who doesn't want a Komodo Dragon as a pet?), coffee (except I hate coffee, will have to make it up with lots of tea), and groupies (nah, I am an introvert!). Probably, the only way I could make it as a literary rogue is by not doing any of those requirements and still getting famous. It would be an uphill battle all the way. So I guess I will not be smuggling in that bottle of absinthe anytime soon. Nor will I be expecting fame anytime soon. I will leave that to the truly desperate who are crazy enough to want it that badly, like Hannah on “Girls.” Obviously, since I seem to do anti-PR, any success for me will be a strange coincidence. That is just fine with me. ;)

Also, have a Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment