Monday, February 6, 2012

Tina Fey Thinks I'm An Idiot


Let me first say that I love “30 Rock" and Tina Fey. I think she is a brilliant comedian. She was looking for a new friend in one recent episode and I wanted to be in that line. Except that maybe we would not get along, just like she and her clone did not in that episode. Not that I am an absolute clone of Tina Fey. I'm a SAHM (Stay-at-home Mom) and she wrote that SAHM's are idiots on her show's episode “Idiots are People Three”.

Good comedy will offend someone. And I guess I am the offended party here. I am trying not to be because everyone has to make decisions about raising a family and every decision is what works for them at the time. For moms of all stripes, every decision we make we feel guilty for: SAH or working, it really is a no win situation and it seems our kids will hate us no matter what decisions we make.

When adding up what a SAHM like me would make from Salary.com:
(http://swz.salary.com/momsalarywizard/htmls/mswl_momcenter.html),
in Tucson I am worth about $103,600. Dang! If I could only get paid for this job. So, maybe I am an idiot in my own way but it is for my kids.

It is really easy to judge other people and their parenting decisions. SAHM's do it all the time. We can be a rather sanctimonious lot. Some criticize if you do not have your kids potty trained by 3 years old. Not me, potty training is not easy, and the mom who says she had her kid trained by 18 months is a liar. Some criticize if you do not breastfeed. I try not to criticize about that, but think people should at least try it, it does not work for some babies. But, for the moms who say “it is gross” or “unnatural” I say you may be the gross and unnatural one.

So Tina Fey thinks I am an idiot. Here is the quote from the show:
Tracy: “Idiots aren't just strippers, or stay at home moms. Idiots are all around us.”

Yep, it was said in the show by Tracy Jordan who is portrayed by Tracy Morgan. The Tracy Morgan who actually did do a rant during a comedy show that offended most people but especially gay people. This show must be to make up for that rant and show that he is an idiot. I think most people knew that already. The stripper reference does not help either.

I know it was supposed to be a bad joke spoken by a genuine idiot, and maybe Ms. Fey gets a lot of grief because she is a working mom. But, I have a feeling she can afford the best in nannies and nanny-cams. In Tucson, we can afford me being a SAHM by living in a small 2 bedroom house, and only having one car. Well, if we lived in New York there would be no way I could be a SAHM. If and when my hubby moves on from his job we may move somewhere like NY or California where we will have to have two paychecks, and will probably be still just scraping by, so yes, we are idiots because my husband actually enjoys his job now.

So, I guess I am an idiot for staying home, but I'm an idiot with happy kids, and that makes all the difference.

Oh yeah, aren't I also supposed to be an Author? Until I make enough to make one monthly mortgage payment (I am not even close on that one) I really need to say my full time job is being a Mom.

2 comments:

  1. People who criticize SAHMs need to get a life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Tina Fey has a life, but just needs to write better jokes! Most of the time she does, but that one really got under my skin.

    ReplyDelete