Monday, April 16, 2012

Short Short Story: "Jury Duty"


Rebecca Smithe was in the United States illegally.

I came from England to be a governess, although they now say “au pair,” I prefer governess. Each family found me to be too strict. One father said I was too “old school.” My visa was for one year. I could not re-new it since I found herself working on and off but never being able to stay since I always made the children cry.

Well if they would just listen to me, she thought, and do as they are told we would not have a problem. I got a car when I had the first job. You have to have a car in Phoenix. It is too bloody hot to take a bus in the summer.

One day I got a notice to serve on a jury in the Maricopa County court system. It seems they send out jury duty notices to anyone who owns a car. I cannot do this, can I? God, I want to. I always loved judging other people. The world is so messed up these days. I know best, my mother always told me so. I would make a perfect juror. To sit in judgment of someone else was my life's dream. I could have become a Solicitor, or even a Judge, if my marks had been better. Those awful teachers always hated me and never gave me the marks I deserved!

I am going to do it! No one would suspect me...

No comments:

Post a Comment