Friday, January 13, 2012

A Review of “Manufactured Pleasures” by Frank Balara


Early blog this week! I am heading north in search of snow (two little children I know are fascinated with the stuff) with my family for MLK day. Will return to my normal Blog schedule next week. This review is also posted on Amazon and Goodreads.

--

Technology, it is a wonderful thing. Our world is techno-colored wonderland with information coming at us faster and faster every day. Maybe it comes at us too fast. It can keep families from really being together. Then something like a power outage comes along and makes us talk to each other. Sometimes outages are blessings.

In this new story by Frank Balara, a power outage caused by a powerful summer thunderstorm leaves a family to have time to have fun together, utilizing ice cream, music, and the good old-fashioned story. This tale reminds me of our summer power outages here in Arizona when I was a kid. The powerful afternoon monsoon storms took out our beloved cable TV and we actually had to think of something to do for a few hours. Now, due to an improved power grid, there are fewer power outages.

Mr. Balara's debut is eloquently written, full of beautifully imaginative phrases. It is also a little silly, as stories of families often are. I hope to hear more from this very creative writer in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment