Monday, May 7, 2012

RIP Adam Yauch (MCA), You Were So Talented... and Funny


Adam Yauch (MCA) of the Beastie Boys died last Friday. Like Whitney Houston, his music was an integral part of our culture from the 1980's to today. I have to say that I didn't like the Beastie Boys music to start with, I thought it was too brash. The Beastie Boys certainly did make an impression with their first hit, an anthem to teenagers everywhere “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)” from Licensed To Ill.

At first, they were brash and annoying to me. It is kind of like how I used to not like the Coen Brother's movie “Raising Arizona” because to me Arizona was not like their movie. Now, I find it an extremely funny movie, I guess I had to grow into my sense of humor. Later on with the Beastie Boys writing songs like “Sabotage,” “Hey Ladies” and from their last album “Make Some Noise,” I found their lyrics to be really funny and their music infectious.

They were rappers but also musicians, playing the instruments for such songs as my favorite rock and rap song “Sabotage.” That took serious talent, and hard work. Sure, some lyrics were really sexist and I have heard that they regret some of the things they have written, but haven't we all? I liked the fact that MCA would give shout-outs to “Trekkies” for he knew even nerds like a white girl from Arizona liked their music.

It is sad when we lose serious talent, and I am not seeing the talent well getting refilled for music. Maybe the world needs a break. Please, if MCA was a Buddhist, let him come back and help revive music, we really need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment