Monday, June 18, 2012

Can We Just Get This Stinkin' Election Over With?


I have come to accept the fact that most people want to be distracted. They want to care about something that may even hurt their lives. Love that High Fructose Corn Syrup even though it is causing obesity and rotting teeth. Love that “Walking Dead” and have to watch it even in front of the kids although seeing zombies eviscerated is quite traumatic for them. Love that massively inaccurate political ad cause it follows my political beliefs even though it cheapens the entire concept of Democracy.

Now it seems that many of our elections will not change much, but that does not keep the media and bloggers from making the biggest deal out of them possible. First lets take the London mayoral election. London has a lot going on this summer, from the Queens Jubilee to the Olympics, somehow they were first able to fit in an election to basically an almost powerless job. But boy did they made such a big deal about it!

In local politics we just got through with an election to fill Gabrielle Giffords seat, for a 6 month post. Wow, think of this distraction as a warm-up to November. Amazingly, after Jesse Kelly lost to Ron Barber, after losing to Gabrielle Giffords in 2010, he is actually NOT going to run again for November. I am absolutely shocked, I figured he would keep hacking at that tree till it fell down. I do have to say I am glad Mr. Kelly is not running again. I found his type of distraction politics to be very negative, although he had to be tempered after a psychotic schizophrenic shot Ms. Giffords as she was doing her job. During the election of 2010 these type of billboards were gracing the roads of southern Arizona:


Classy eh? This type of negative “hate” politics has been running rampant lately. ON BOTH SIDES! These type of no compromise unless our complete agenda is fully set in motion we will say no to everything (Tea Party Republicans) or our leader will never do enough to satisfy us (extreme-left Democrats) attitude makes me nauseous. And if you are a moderate, prepare to be completely ignored.

It often does not come from the political parties themselves, but from Groups and billionaires that our Supreme Court in its questionable wisdom opened the money door to with the Citizen's United ruling.
Here is classy advertisement from Hartland Institute:


Mr. Kaczynski had a Ph.D. in Mathmatics, so if I agree that 1+1=2, then I must be politically on par with a domestic terrorist, right? This kind of lowest common denominator politics is what is hurting our country. We need to find things we agree about and instigate those policies, it is time to build up, not tear down.

My family is quite politically diverse. Before the internet, we only had to deal with each others political attitudes during Thanksgiving and Birthday celebrations. Now we have Facebook and an internet full of hate and lies which gives my two cousins, who are brothers, ample ammunition to do the “I'm right and you are wrong” dance, much to the encouragement of those who agree with them. A friend of mine says she likes our politically diverse family since hers is all in agreement, with a preaching to the choir attitude. I would like a little of that actually, this not quite civil war amongst us wears me down. I know I should be enjoying this since I wrote a political satire but can we just get this stinkin' election over with?

No comments:

Post a Comment