Monday, June 25, 2012

The Faux Sweet Secret Invasion!


You may not have noticed this but artificial sweeteners are everywhere! I am fine with them being labeled and saying “No Added Sugar,” but they are being added to many more items and they are not letting us know. It is only on the label if you read the ingredients. If it is a primary ingredient they need to add extra labels, but if it is one of the last ingredients; I guess you need to just keep reading for those funny little words like aspartame and saccharine.

The first switch I noticed was Juicy Fruit and Wintergreen Wrigley Gum. They used to just use sugar for those gums and yes, the flavor was gone in 5 minutes. But what a fantastic 5 minutes it was! Now it has aspartame and the crappy flavor lasts much longer. Meh.

Yogurt is supposed to be healthy, right? It is, unless it is fat-free and sugar-free. Then, to me it is just a chemical factory with a possible addition of those healthy bacteria for your tummy. You have to read the labels very carefully when you buy yogurt now, unless you like the taste of a chemical factory and it seems many people do.

My last and most egregious example is hot chocolate. Nobody is probably thinking of the stuff right now because it is summer but I still am pissed about what happened last winter. I was at the local Target buying the hot chocolatey goodness for my kids. I saw a package of Swiss Miss Marshmallow Lovers Hot Cocoa. Perfect, right? I mean why would a box of “Marshmallow Lovers” Hot Cocoa need any artificial sweeteners, since you are asking to get sugared up with the extra marshmallows.



Well, I make cups for me and my kids and instantly tell that there is something wrong. It is subtle but still the sweetness tastes wrong. I check the ingredients and it has Sucralose. I then go back to see if there is a hot cocoa I can buy with just sugar. At Target in Tucson, the answer is no. ALL THEIR HOT CHOCOLATE PACKAGES HAVE ARTIFICAL SWEETENERS SOMEWHERE IN THEIR INGREDIENTS! I was only able to find the generic brand at Safeway only has sugar. For us, that is the only safe way or make our own, which is really not that difficult.

Why does this bother me so much? Well you can call me an artificial sweetener detector cause if there is even a 0.00001 of a gram in there I will taste it. It tastes wrong to me because those sweeteners have always given me headaches. If it gives me a headache, I avoid it, wouldn't you? It used to be much easier to avoid these things but now they are popping up where you would think regular sugar should be just fine. The reason? My guess is that the producers of these items think they are making it more healthy by reducing the overall carbohydrate amount. Sorry, but for me a headache is a headache, and it just tastes WRONG! And it does not matter what kind because to aspartame = sucralose = saccharin = any other artificial sweetener = tastes wrong = headache. Give me good old-fashioned sugar and I will adjust the amount I want of it to sweeten my tea.

There is another thing about one artificial sweetener, you can get aspartame poisoning. It is very difficult to detect and is often misdiagnosed as Multiple Sclerosis. There are many symptoms associated with aspartame toxicity reported by the FDA. No wonder I get headaches, it is the #1 neurological reaction. When my kids are older and can make the decisions for themselves they are allowed to eat all the artificial sweeteners they want, but for now we try to keep them out of our diets.  I also have type-2 diabetes running in my family. Instead of running to the artificially sweetened drinks and foods, we are just trying to monitor our real sugar levels, with the occasional hot chocolate with marshmallows as a wintertime treat. Then make sure that me, my hubby, and my kids exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment