Monday, August 20, 2012

In These Demon Days...Turn Yourself Around To The Sun


I was all ready to do a different blog about facebook memes, and that may come next week or the week after. Then I heard this on my morning walk and it just seemed like I should share this song.

It may seem strange, but Gorillaz is a favorite band of mine. I never said I was normal. ;0) They are not for everyone. The best way I could describe them is like Radiohead mixed with hip hop. To quote Wikipedia about the Gorillaz: “Their style is a composition of multiple musical genres, with a large number of influences including alternative, rock, hip hop, electronica, dub and pop.” Like many great bands from the UK their lyrics can be quite depressing. It is probably the rain, that can be quite a constant thing there. Yet, when the sun comes out in the UK, it is glorious. Their lyrics can also be uplifting. The song “Demon Days” is a good example.


Here is the end (and my favorite part) of the song “Demon Days” by the Gorillaz:

In these demon days
It's so cold inside
So hard for a good soul to survive
You can't even trust the air you breathe
Because mother earth wants us all to leave
When lies become reality
You numb yourself with drugs and T.V.
So pick yourself up, it's a brand new day
So turn yourself round
Don't burn yourself, turn yourself
Turn yourself around
To the sun!

To the sun, to the sun...
To the sun, to the sun...

~~
Now the “sun” can be interpreted many different ways. Their music is certainly up for interpretation on the internet, they write concept albums that make you think. I certainly interpret this song in many different ways. It can be interpreted directly such as taking a walk in the sun. There is also light therapy, which I do during those dark winters even here in sunny Arizona. Or you could change the u to an o and turn yourself to the Son. Jesus. I get that from the use of a gospel choir. The choir just also sounds great.

But like I said, it is how you want to interpret it, I think it is a beautiful song, it is always good to turn yourself to the sun. Plants do it all the time. So, if you are feeling depressed, expose it to the light for what it is.

Don't think it will go away on it's own or if you do a drastic life changing thing.

I have moved and quit jobs in hopes that the depression would go away.

It did temporarily.

Then the depression still came back.

You (like I) may need to realize that and deal with it as best you can. Exercise (in the sun :0), light therapy, talk therapy and medicine (under the care of a doctor) are just some ways to help deal with depression. It helps me. Just get help, it is hard to turn yourself around, but it can be done. The sun has always been a major source of energy for the earth and it is an incredible source for us all. It is not just food for plants...


No comments:

Post a Comment