Monday, August 27, 2012

Guest Blogger: Heather Von St. James



Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 8.00.52 AM.png

 
A mom with mesothelioma

I was diagnosed with mesothelioma during a time that should have been the happiest of my life. I had recently given birth, and my baby was not yet four months old when I received the news that would change my life forever. I was told I had malignant pleural mesothelioma.

Although I was lucky enough to have the support of friends and family, explaining my illness was often difficult. After the initial shock upon learning of my condition, people usually were confused as to the circumstances surrounding my diagnosis. Since mesothelioma is caused by asbestos, and many people don’t realize that asbestos is actually NOT banned in the United States, many people wonder just how, where and when I was exposed to this deadly substance.

In my case, secondary exposure to asbestos is to blame for this illness. My father worked in construction, and carried home asbestos dust and particles on his clothing. Since mesothelioma can often have a decades-long dormancy period, secondhand exposure when I was a child led to my diagnosis at age 36.

Although the manner in which I developed mesothelioma was quite common, my age and sex made my diagnosis atypical. Mesothelioma is more often found in elderly men who have worked in construction, the automotive industry or served in the military. In fact, at the time, the Mayo Clinic, had only known of one other mesothelioma patient who was so young.

Secondhand exposure to asbestos is an extremely common cause of mesothelioma and other asbestos-related illnesses. Before mesothelioma was banned, it was used in abundance for production and construction purposes. The substance was used in the military in the building of ships, barracks, vehicles and parts, and was utilized in many civilian buildings and automotive parts as well. This included insulation and drywall in schools, hospitals, other public buildings and private homes.

While the individuals who built, lived in and worked in these buildings suffered firsthand exposure to asbestos, others were placed at risk as well. Their families and loved ones were often exposed to secondhand asbestos that was transferred through clothing, skin, upholstery and other means. This was the case for me, and is true for countless others as well.

While the prognosis for this disease typically isn't great, the good news is that advancements are being made all the time. Through tests and research, the survival rate among mesothelioma patients is increasing every day. Raising awareness of this disease is essential when it comes to funding and research. By sharing my story with the world, I hope that I'm doing my part to help increase awareness of mesothelioma.

I also chose to share my story for the benefit of others who have been diagnosed with this disease. For us mesothelioma patients, having the support of our peers is essential to treatment. It is vital for us to come together as a community; to offer ears for listening and shoulders for crying; to share our thoughts, feelings and experiences. Together, we can become untied and strong in the face of mesothelioma.

Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 8.01.02 AM.png

No comments:

Post a Comment